Monday, May 20, 2013

This was my first visit to Atlanta and so far it has been great! Going to the King Center was a great way to start my trip. It opened my eyes to how prominent civil rights activists were in Georgia because of Martin Luther King Jr. Although we learned about him every year in school, and I teach about him to ASA there was still SOOO much I learned. Being able to see MLK's home, congregation, casket, and memorial taught me so much. He has done so much for this country and I think he would be proud to see what the country is like. Although we do have a huge way to go, the changes that were made by him were enormous.

One part about today that stood out to me was the short film we watched in the King Center. It showed after schools were integrated how the children got along fine! Parents and older people were the ones holding off on integrating everything but in schools children did not judge based on color, they played all together as children should. It was upsetting to see parents telling their kids other wise and not to be together because children knew that color did not matter and the black children were just like any other children to play. I had no idea all the history Atlanta had such as Morehouse, Spelman, King Center, and all of King attractions. I learned a lot more than I had previously known about civil rights and want to learn more.

-Jackie Hrnciar (on Bridget's email).

No comments:

Post a Comment