Monday, May 20, 2013

I am so happy to be back in Atlanta. This city means a lot to me personally because I used to go every summer growing up to visit family down here. Atlanta is an amazing city full of incredibly friendly people and vibrant energy. Every time I come down here, I fall in love with the city all over again. I'm so happy to be back on this service trip!

Today we spent time learning about the history of the Civil Rights Movement in Atlanta. We went to the King Center, which is always an amazing and moving experience. This time, we were able to see more of the King Center, including MLK's church and his birthplace. It was really incredible to literally walk in the footsteps of MLK. While at the King Center, we watched a video on segregation and integration and though we have come a long way, I can't help but think of how far we still have to go. The video said how black children had to ride past brand-new white schools and were forced to go to run-down, one room school houses. When I heard this, I couldn't help but think of my kids at Trenton High. When the basketball team plays at schools like Hopewell and Robbinsville, which are predominantly white, they can't help but compare it to Trenton High, which is in disrepair and predominantly black. Although legal segregation was eliminated, de facto segregation still exists and we see it every day in Trenton.

I am really looking forward to the rest of my time in Atlanta. I love being able to give back to a city that has given me so many amazing memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment